Sunday, April 26, 2009

2009 Perimeter Relay Race

The 2009 perimeter relay race was yesterday. Teams of 10 run 20 legs for a total of 48.6 miles around the island in this event. Our friend John wanted to run the entire thing himself (I have no idea why!), and he has been running like crazy preparing over the last couple of months. He asked me to be his 'pit crew', so I followed him around the island with waters, Gatorade, snacks, and first aid kit! He wanted to try and complete most of the course before the sun came up and before the temperature started to rise, so he kicked off his tour at 1:00 AM in the morning.  I followed him for the first couple of hours with the hazard lights on to ward off any drunk drivers. Then for the rest of the race, I would go up a couple of miles in front of him to exchange points and wait for him to arrive. I fell asleep one time, and John had to knock on the car window to wake me up!  He finished 8 hours and 19 minutes later at 9:19 AM....pretty awesome!  Here are a couple of photos from the race:


a few minutes before starting the race at 1 AM



coming in to the finish

resting his feet after the race and drinking some carbs!

2 comments:

Mason & Dixie said...

So funny! I laughed out loud as I read this and had to share with DJ!

KC said...

Wow...48 miles for 8 hours...that's too much running!