Thursday, January 22, 2009

Island Time

The phrase "Island Time" has taken on an entirely new meaning since moving to Guam.  Locals are just not prompt and feel NO sense of urgency about anything.  I seriously don't think that I have ever been to a work meeting, or any other kind of meeting, here that has started on time.  A recent example of island time is a baby shower that I went to.  It was an informal lunch-break shower with working people.  The appointed time was 1100.  The mom and dad-to-be showed up at 1215.  There was apparently no indication that they were concerned about inconveniencing everyone.  From what I hear, they didn't even apologize for being late.  (I don't know first hand, because I had to leave and go back to work!)  They had no emergency excuse like a flat tire, etc....nothing.  Another example is that businesses may or may not open /close at the advertised time.  Sometimes, I race to get somewhere before they close only to find that they closed their doors early!


Most of you who know me know that I am always on time (on time is at least 5 minutes early in my book).  I have very little patience for people who are consistently late, eeehhhem...Casey.

Anyway, I myself was late to two meetings in two days, and I am afraid.  I am afraid that the island time is starting to wear off on me.   Maybe it is not fair to pin this on the locals, maybe it really is just an island thing...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a monochronic lady in a polychronic society, my dear! Assimilate or bust! :o)

Emily said...

Katie, embrace island time! You might not have the luxury forever!

Anonymous said...

Brian said.....The couple was from the Philippines, not Guam. But I guess they just all look alike to you, eh Kate. Who is this woman I married, what happened to the color blind, tree-hugging clock-Nazi I met so many moons ago, that yelled at me for throwing a plastic bottle in the regular trash as I took it to the road 10 minutes after the collector came by. I feel so alone in this crazy world.....

beth said...

Too funny, Katie... my friend lived in Germany for a couple years and Europe was like that for her... noooo hurrry. When she moved back to the states she said needed xanax just to cope with the mad rush here... hopefully you won't 'digress' that much.
Beth