Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Moving?!?

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.  We currently live in a really great place, a spacious condo right on the beach.  Knowing that the unique situation in Guam would probably be our only opportunity in life to actually live on the beach, we took it!  We've lived here for just over 2 years, and we couldn't have found a better place to spend our first years together. Besides a grassy backyard that flows onto the beach and then the ocean, we have a community pool, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a wonderful garden tub.  


We've decided to move to the Air Force base.  The houses are all identical in shape and color; they just vary in # of bedrooms and bathrooms.  We will be assigned to a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house.  Assignments are based on rank and number of children.  One bathroom, and ONLY one bathroom sink (Brian's sink is always, ALWAYS gross).  I am trying to convince myself that we've made the best decision, so I've compiled a list of positives:
-we will have our own yard
-we will have our own coconut trees to hang the hammock
-we will have a covered patio
-we will have central AC (we have a split unit for each room now)
-we won't have any utilities bills (just telephone and cable if we want it)
-you can even go get free light bulbs...
-we can bike to work
-our commute will be about 3 mins instead of up to 45 mins
-we can go home for lunch!
-the fitness center will be about a mile away (New Year's resolution that hasn't panned out thus far)

The biggest things that I am worried about are missing the beach (there is a beach on the AF base, but I will have to drive to it), and the proximity neighbors/coworkers.  I've witnessed some really great friendships formed in base housing, but I have also witnessed the high school type gossip.  You basically live next to all of the people you work with...sometimes you just want to be incognito, right?  Well, you can forget that if you live on a military base.  

The social structure of the military is very strange.  I personally feel like I am an outsider since I am not in the military, but everyone else labels you based on your affiliation.  So technically, no one can be immune to the social structure.  I cringe every time someone asks me what Brian's rank is; they will subconsciously pass judgement on me based on my husband's rank.  It doesn't matter if they are higher or lower ranking; they will still pass judgement on me.  I try to avoid the topic in all conversations, but people always ask.  I try to answer them as generically as possible.

When you live on base, the military members name and rank are posted on the front of the house...There will be fewer opportunities for me to just be Katie.  

3 comments:

Emily said...

So how's the weather over there? It's apparently snowing in Greenville. I learned that because I saw it on FACEBOOK! Thanks for adding me to your friends! Tell Brian thanks for doing the same!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't the sun rise on that side of the island?...that's another positive. Ya'll had a really nice place and picture perfect view at the condo, and I know you're thankful for the time you had. Most people never get to experience living on a beach or come close to living on a beach with clear blue water, palms, and amazing sunsets.

beth said...

For goodness sakes make Brian clean out the sink!... his Dad is the same.. at least Brian doesn't have any hair to shed. Count your blessings.