Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day on Guam

Memorial Day commemorates those who've died for our country. Guam became a US possession in 1898 after the Spanish-American War, but during WWII Guam was captured by the Japanese in early 1942. Local Chamorros were mistreated and used as slave labor during the Japanese occupation. Some were even held at detention camps.  But on the morning of July 21, 1944, the US Marines landed at Asan Beach to retake the island. (Today, July 21 is celebrated on Guam as Liberation Day.) It only took the Marines until August 10 to eliminate the Japanese resistance and retake the island. During the battle for Guam, over 1700 US forces were killed. The number of Chamorros that were killed during this time is unknown. At Asan beach today, tons of US and Guam flags are set up for the Memorial Day.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, I had not seen this post this morning when I said I saw the new pics up. Asan looks great, hope there were lots of people out celebrating, though I don't have a doubt, knowing the patriotism of Guam. I'm glad Kelly could see it too. Love, Brian

Emily said...

That's awesome! Looks like y'all have been having a busy time. Is Kelly still there?
And I've heard of the green flash here. Or, I've heard of the flash, not ever heard of anyone seeing it. So it's cool to hear that. Is it only in Guam or in certain parts of the world? Or does it happen if the conditions are right anywhere? Very cool.