Saturday, March 14, 2009

Trivia for Charity

Habitat for Humanity hosts a quiz night fund raiser yearly, and it was last night. So, I got a team of six together to head over to the Marriott for the games. Before the games started, dinner was served and you had to buy your own cocktails. This cocktail hour before the games start was filled with large amounts of trash talking and threats to other teams. Our table was right next to the Navy team that I was a member of last year and right next to some current AF coworkers. There were over 50 teams, so the competition was pretty stiff! My team consisted of a couple engineer friends and fellow spouses. Our team wanted to separate ourselves from the rest, so we dressed up in green for St. Patrick's Day.  Of course you can't see it, but I had a lighted shamrock necklace on!  We even had some green/shamrock table decor.  Surprisingly right before the games started, my team won lunch for two gift certificates for each member, because I paid early...that was $36 bucks per team member!

Trivia categories included cooking, math, science, biggest to littlest, grammar, and a photo category. We were probably at the low end of the point scale by the end of the night, but we didn't have any Chamorro or Filipino folks on our team. They throw in local trivia each year...I will have to recruit a local for next year's trivia night. We did have a great time and I am still irritated about one question:

You had to calculate the amount of ingredients to use when splitting a recipe for mint ice cream. I did the math and got 3.6 cups. And of course, you cannot measure 3.6 cups or 3 3/5 cups of something with conventional kitchenware. So, I rounded up to the next easiest measurement 3 2/3 cups which would be 3.66 cups. I thought this was a reasonable assumption, but the judges wouldn't accept my answer. I guess I can try again next year!

Here are some crappy photos from the games...I guess I had the camera on the wrong setting for indoors!

This is some of the competition


Margaret

Pete, Cat, and Joe

Cat

No comments: