Monday, December 29, 2008

Depressed?

So, Brian started pulling all of his ruck sacks and deployment gear out of the closet today to check and make sure he has everything. He will be packing his bags for the desert in less than 2 months, not that I am counting (yeah right). I am already sad that he'll be gone for 6-8 months. I am also a little freaked out about 2009. You see, I will turn 30 in 2009, and I am just not ready for the 30s. Then, I realized that I will be turning 30 alone here in Guam while Brian is in the desert. I've been dwelling on this thought for almost a week now, and I am a little embarrassed...it is a bit self-centered. I decided to get over my pre-deployment/pre-30 depression and do something for others. I intend to start serving dinner at a local soup kitchen if they'll have me (i emailed them today)...but other than that, I am having trouble coming up with ideas. I thought about big brothers big sisters, but I am a little intimidated about giving a young person advice that may alter their lives. I also thought about engineers without borders, but they predominantly seek college students...does anyone have any other ideas?

3 comments:

The Columbia Fam said...

You should come back to the States for your 30th and celebrate in style!

Emily said...

You think giving young kids advice is intimidating? Try teaching them! Molding the young minds of America. Talk about intimidating.
If I were you, I'd come see us, too.
But any volunteer work will make you feel good. I want to go to a foreign country and spend some time teaching English to kids.

Anonymous said...

You don't have to be alone on your 30th in Guam. I think you would be a great mentor to a child! I'm sure the more things you get involved in....the faster the time will go and you'll feel good about helping those in need.